The thought of factory resetting your MSI laptop is daunting, but would you rather game with a machine that lags or take a few steps to restore its functionality and speed? The choice is pretty simple, so keep reading to learn how to factory reset MSI laptops.
MSI laptops boast solid performance and premium hardware. However, software bugs, missing file logs, malware, and other issues will make the system malfunction or lag, calling for a factory reset.
How To Factory Reset MSI Laptop (Step-By-Step Guide)
Before taking through the step-by-step guide on factory resetting an MSI laptop, it’s worth noting that their drives have preloaded recovery partitions. The F3 key will help you access them.
With that said, let’s go through the resetting steps.
- Connect the laptop to a power source.
- Power it off if it’s running, then back on.
- Press the F3 key once you see the MSI logo to access the system restore interface.
- Select troubleshoot, then press the enter key.
- Choose Restore MSI factory settings.
- Click System Partition Recovery. The screen will display the prompt, “all data and setting will be reset and lost on this computer. Are you sure to continue?”
- Click Yes to proceed to the next step.
- The system will ask again if you wish to continue with the factory reset. Click Yes
- Click OK once the system is reset.
- Exit the reset window and restart the laptop by clicking continue.
Ensure your MSI laptop is plugged into a power outlet throughout the factory reset process. Moreover, the entire process should take a minimum of a couple of minutes; then, your laptop will shut down and restart to complete the process.
You will lose everything that didn’t come with your laptop, so save all the programs and files you wish to keep before resetting your MSI laptop. Once the process is complete, you will need to reinstall the programs and reload the files.
How To Backup Your Data Before Factory Resetting Your MSI Laptop
You can backup your data through a USB drive or cloud storage
a) Cloud Storage
This is an excellent option because you can still access your files even if you lose or damage the external storage device. Some cloud storage services include OneDrive, Dropbox, and Google Drive.
b) USB Drive
This option entails connecting your MSI laptop to an external storage device like a hard drive or USB flash drive. You can also use a cloud storage service.
Transfer all the files you wish to keep into the device and disconnect them upon completion.
How To Factory Reset MSI Laptop Without Password
This section takes you through the process of factory resetting a laptop if you don’t know the administrator password.
Windows 8 and 10
- Press the shift key, then click the login screen’s power button.
- Select troubleshoot.
- Click “Reset this PC,” then choose to remove everything and reinstall the windows.
You’ll need to employ the “Repair Your Computer” to reset windows 7.
- Restart the laptop, then repeatedly press the F8 key once the MSI logo appears until you can access the “Advanced Boot Options.”
- Select “Repair Your Computer,” then press enter to access “System Recovery Options.”
- Choose the design of your keyboard and click Next.
- Choose System Restore on the “System Recovery Options” to examine the data in the Restore Partition and factory reset the laptop.
What Does Restore MSI Factory Settings Do?
Restore MSI factory settings allow you to revert your laptop into its original state. This means deleting drivers, removing any programs and files you made and installed, and returning your laptop’s settings to their default status.
Restoring your MSI factory settings helps improve your laptop’s performance by getting rid of any extra files or programs consuming drive space. Moreover, it allows you to remove all your programs and files before giving away or selling the laptop, preventing the exposure of your private or personal information.
If you want to conduct a clean-up of this gaming laptop and restore the default settings without performing the factory restore, go with the “Reset this PC” option. This route allows you to keep any existing programs and lets you uninstall and reinstall windows.
However, beware that the existing programs may transfer viruses and malware to your laptop during reinstallation.
How Long Does MSI Recovery System Take?
There’s no one-size fits all answer to this question. The duration will vary depending on the hard drive size, the operating system, the laptop’s RAM, and the amount of personal data that will be deleted.
Nonetheless, an MSI factory reset will likely take a couple of minutes up to 45 minutes.
Knowing how to factory reset MSI laptops comes in handy when you need to troubleshoot software issues or bugs. The process is pretty straightforward, provided you follow the steps carefully.